Vanilla Nectarine Muffins
Happy summer lovelies! Made this recipe after coming home with a copious amount of nectarines from the farmer's market, and I'm seriously in love! Had to share so you could enjoy these muffins too. They're delicious as is, but I paired them with a simple strawberry apricot jam (as pictured above) to really get all those summertime fruit flavors in! This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, with a sugar-free option! Makes about 12 muffins.
• 1 cup sorghum flour
• ½ cup buckwheat flour
• ½ cup brown rice flour
• ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (for a sugar-free version, I sub with monk fruit sweetener)
• 3 nectarines, diced (I used 2 white, 1 yellow)
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
• ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
• 2 flax eggs
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Strawberry Apricot Jam:
• 1 apricot, chopped
• 1½ cup strawberries, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and coat a 12 cup muffin tin with a small amount of coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, mix all dry muffin ingredients.
3. In a medium bowl, add flax eggs, almond milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and coconut oil. Stir/whisk briefly.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir well, until batter is evenly mixed. At this point, add in the diced nectarines and stir some more! It's ok if they are pretty ripe and watery...the juice helps make the muffins sweeter. :)
5. Pour mixture into muffin tin, making sure to fill each cup ¾ or more of the way up.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. While muffins are cooling off, make the jam! There isn't much to this step - Add the strawberries + apricot to blender, and blended on high until you get a jam-like consistency. Optional: Heat in microwave for 10-15 seconds, or on a stovetop until mixture bubbles. This can help thicken the jam, but is not necessary.
8. Slather some jam on a muffin & nom away!