Sweet Potato Fries with Cilantro Avocado Dip
What are some of the hottest complex carbs in my book? Roasted sweet potatoes of course! They're easy peasy to make and are packed with all the good vitamins. Also - keep the skin ON, it's got fiber that should not go to waste! I'm also kind of a cilantro fiend, so this dip/dressing/drizzle was a no brainer when I was thinking of something yummy to enjoy the fries with. Hope you like this combo as much as I do!
Sweet potato 'fries'
• 1 extra large sweet potato (or two smaller), rinsed and chopped into thick wedges
• 3 tablespoons vegetable broth (low sodium if possible)
• ½ teaspoon curry powder
• ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon cumin
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• 2 pinches sea salt
• 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
• 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves (optional, for garnish)
• 2 tablespoons chopped green onion (optional, for garnish)
Cilantro Avocado dressing:
• 1 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
• ¼ cup green onion, diced
• ½ large avocado
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (or avocado oil)
• 1 clove garlic
• juice of 1 lemon
• juice of 1 lime
• ¼ teaspoon cumin
• salt & peper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, add sweet potato wedges, spices, and veggie broth. Toss until sweet potato is nicely coated. Pour mixture onto baking sheet with parchment paper, and place in the oven.
3. Bake sweet potato for 45-55 minutes. At the 25 minute mark, use a pair of tongs to flip over sweet potatoes. I also add about tablespoon extra veggie broth at this point. Check the 'doneness of the sweet potato fries at around 40 minutes - depending on how thick you cut the wedges, you may need to let it stay in for about 10 mins longer.
4. While sweet potato fries are baking, make the cilantro avocado dip! In a food processor (or high speed blender) add all ingredients and pulse/blend until you get a nice and thick consistency. If you want to thin it out a little more, add water by the tablespoon to your liking. This made a good amount for me, so I saved it in the fridge for a few days and enjoyed it in multiple meals!
5. Take sweet potato fries out of oven, and (if you want a little more char), heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a cast iron pan over medium high. Add sweet potatoes once oil is hot, and toss with tongs for a couple minutes. Or, simply skip this step!
6. Enjoy 'fries' hot, and get dippin!