Rosemary & Thyme Butternut Squash Pasta
It may still be in the 80's here in LA, but fall is in full swing in the Visual Veg kitchen! This recipe is one of my FAVES for any fall lunch/dinner/potluck, you name it. The rosemary and thyme really add an extra bit of magic in my opinion. This recipe makes about 4 large servings. Also works like a charm for a thanksgiving dish...just sayin ;)
• 1 package pasta (I used Banza's gluten-free rotini!)
• 2 cups butternut squash, peeled & cubed
• ½ yellow onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
• ½ tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
• ½ cup vegetable broth
• ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened
• 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
• sea salt to taste
• freshly cracked black pepper to taste
• ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (optional - can sub for 2 tablespoons veggie broth)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and line a baking tray with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, add butternut squash and ¼ cup veggie broth. Toss briefly then transfer to baking tray. Place in preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Squash should be nice & tender!
**If you're using frozen squash, you can skip this step
2. While squash is roasting, cook pasta! I followed the instructions on the package. Drain pasta when ready, and set aside in a colander.
3. Once squash is ready, add 2 tablespoons veggie broth (or ½ tablespoon olive oil if not oil-free), yellow onion, garlic, thyme, and rosemary to a large non-stick skillet and heat on medium high. Cook onion for around 5-7 minutes, tossing until it cooks down and caramelizes. Over this time you can slowly add in remaining ¼ cup veggie broth and roasted butternut squash.
4. To make the sauce, transfer skillet mixture to a high-speed blender. Add almond milk, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend on high until nice n CREAMY (this should only take a few minutes). If you feel as though the mixture is too thick to your liking, add more almond milk to thin out.
5. Pour butternut squash sauce into the same saucepan that you cooked the pasta, and heat on medium. Add in pasta and toss. Top with salt and pepper, extra rosemary + thyme, and serve warm!