Roasted Eggplant Pasta with Spicy Arrabiatta Sauce
Hi everyone! I partnered with Cucina Antica Foods to make this delicious pasta dish that i am super excited to share! It's gluten-free, vegan, and packed with delicious flavors. By now you may know that I am an aubergine queen, so there wasn't much competition when thinking of what veggie to pair this sauce with. It's the perfect meal for a summertime lunch or cozy romantic dinner. Hope you love it as much as I do!
• 1 box (12 oz) gluten-free pasta (I used this kind)
• 1 large eggplant, cubed
• ½ large yellow onion, diced
• 1 tablespoon veggie broth
• ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 2 ½ cups Cucina Antica's spicy arrabbiata sauce
• 3 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
• 3 tablespoons fresh italian parsley, roughly chopped
• sea salt & black pepper to taste
• 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional topping!)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
2. Graciously coat cubed eggplant with salt (kosher is great), and place in a colander for about 30 minutes. This helps take out any excess moisture. If you want to know how much salt to put, here's a lil vid that explains salting. After 30 mins, wash eggplant with cold water and gently pat dry.
3. Transfer eggplant to baking sheet, and toss with salt, black pepper (to taste), and a tablespoon of veggie broth. Place in the oven for 30-35 mins, until eggplant has turned golden brown. Around the 15 min mark you can add in a tablespoon or more of veggie broth, if the eggplant looks to dry/white. Don't worry though - it won't be when you add the sauce!
4. While the eggplant is roasting, cook the pasta! I followed the instructions on my box for the most part, so I suggest you do the same. :)
5. Take eggplant out of the oven when ready and set aside. In a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet on the stovetop, heat ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil on medium high. Add yellow onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to caramelize. At this point, add in roasted eggplant, arrabbiata sauce, and fresh basil. Cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes to heat up sauce, then add pasta. Turn heat to low and use a large spoon to make sure all the penne is coated with sauce. If your pan/skillet is not large enough, you could also put pasta in a large bowl, then add the sauce/eggplant mixture and toss.
5. Turn off stove, garnish pasta with fresh Italian parsley, a lil nutritional yeast (if you so desire), maybe some extra pepper, and nom away!