Creamy Pumpkin Seed Pesto
This pesto recipe was developed after I bought some fresh basil from the farmers market (isn't the purple tint amazing?), and ran out of pine nuts, so pumpkin seeds had to do! Recipe is vegan and gluten-free, and so simple that anyone can make it. In my experience, this sauce is best when enjoyed 1-2 days after making. Also, please tag me on Instagram if you make one of my recipes @thevisualveggie and/or #thevisualveggie. It seriously makes my day seeing y’all eatin your vegetables <3
• 2 cups fresh basil
• 1 stalk kale, destemmed
• juice of 1 lemon
• ⅓ cup plain, non-dairy yogurt (I used this one - but you can also sub for ⅓ cup avocado!)
• ½ cup pumpkin seeds
• 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• sea salt, to taste
• black pepper, to taste
1. Add all pesto ingredients to a Nutribullet/food processor and blend until completely smooth. To thin, add extra olive oil or water until your desired consistency is reached.
2. Serve like above (with pasta), or enjoy over a veggie rice/quinoa bowl or as a dip!