Spring is in full swing, so that means i’m incorporating allll the seasonal veggies in my meals! The cashew cream sauce in this recipe goes sooo well with the sautéed asparagus, peas, and zucchini. To be honest, sometimes I make extra just to pour over my veggie bowls or dip with sweet potato fries! Recipe serves 4. Try this for a spring/summer dinner or picnic and you will not disappoint!
• 1 package gluten-free penne pasta
• 2 cups asparagus, quartered
• 1 medium zucchini, sliced in half
• 1 medium shallot, minced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• ⅓ cup peas (I thawed from frozen)
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
• juice of ½ lemon
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest
• 2 pinches red pepper flakes (optional)
• 2-3 tablespoons (each) fresh parsley, basil, mint, chopped
• sea salt + freshly ground black pepper to taste
Creamy cashew sauce
• ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for a few hours (or overnight)*
• ¼ cup water
• juice of ½ lemon
• 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
• ¼ tsp onion powder
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1. First, let's make the sauce! Add all cashew sauce ingredients to a Nutribullet/food processor and blend until completely smooth.
** If you don't have a Nutribullet, you could sub the raw cashews for ¼ cup cashew butter and whisk in a small bowl.
2. Now, cook the pasta! I followed the instructions on the package. Drain pasta when ready, and set aside in a colander.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. First add shallot and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Next add asparagus. Cook and toss gently for about 5 minutes. Then add zucchini and peas for 2-4 minutes. If you feel like the veggies are getting dry, I like to add 1-2 tablespoons veggie broth in and turn the heat to medium high for a minute to absorb! Once veggies are cooked, turn off stovetop.
4. Add in pasta to the skillet, and season with salt + pepper, lemon juice. Pour desired amount of cashew sauce over skillet, tossing pasta gently with veggies. Finally, add fresh herbs + lemon zest, and serve!