Pasta with Garlic Sauce
Had some extra onion and garlic lying around in the kitchen, so I got busy and whipped up this yummy pasta sauce! Paired with parsley and peas, this dish is perfect for lunch or dinner. Makes about 4-5 servings.
• 1 box (12oz) gluten-free pasta (I used Banza's chickpea rotini!)
• 1½ cups frozen peas, thawed
• 1 shallot, diced
• 1 tablespoon lemon zest
• ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (sub with veggie broth for oil-free version)
• 2-3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped
• salt & black pepper to taste
• 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
• 1 large yellow onion (or two small), chopped
• 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
• ¼ cup veggie broth
• 3 tablespoons almond milk, unsweetened (if you must omit, use extra veggie broth)
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• juice of ½ a lemon
• 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
1. First thing's first, cook the pasta! I followed the instructions on the package. Drain pasta when ready, and set aside in a colander.
2. To make the sauce, add 1 tablespoon olive oil (or 2 tablespoons veggie broth if oil-free) to a non-stick skillet and heat on medium. Add yellow onion and garlic, and cook for around 5-7 minutes, tossing until onion softens and caramelizes.
3. Transfer sautéed onion and garlic to a high-speed blender. Add almond milk, veggie broth, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt. Blend on high until nice n CREAMY (this should only take a few minutes). If you feel as though the mixture is too thick to your liking, add more almond milk and/or veggie broth to thin out.
4. Add ½ tablespoon olive oil to the same skillet used to cook the onion, and briefly cook shallots and peas on medium high for 1-2 minutes.
5. Pour garlic sauce into the same saucepan that you cooked the pasta, and heat on medium/medium low. Add in pasta and toss. With a large wooden spoon, mix in in peas, shallots, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, salt + pepper, and extra nutritional yeast. Sprinkle parsley/drizzle some olive oil on top and serve warm!