Pasta with Cashew Walnut Alfredo
As a little veg, a big bowl of pasta with veggies would alllways cheer me up. While my brother and sister would reach for the salt or parmesan, I’d be stealing their broccoli..hah! Now that I'm an ‘adult’ I still enjoy pasta, but like to turn up the pizzazz a bit. This sauce has become a staple in my kitchen, and I hope it becomes one in yours as well! :)
• 1 8oz box gluten-free pasta (Banza is my fave)
• ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or a few hours and drained
• ½ cup raw walnuts, soaked overnight or a few hours and drained
• ½ cup veggie broth, low sodium (or water)
• ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
• 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• black pepper to taste
• fresh parsley
• red pepper flakes
• extra virgin olive oil drizzle
• roasted brussels sprouts
• gluten-free breadcrumbs...the options are endless!
1. Cook the pasta! I followed the instructions on the package. Drain pasta when ready, and set aside in a colander.
2. Add previously soaked nuts, onion, garlic, and veggie broth + almond milk to a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend/pulse until ingredients turn into a creamy sauce. Next add salt, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and black pepper to taste. For a thinner sauce, add more almond milk or veggie broth.
3. Transfer pasta back into the saucepan you cooked it in, and heat on medium-low, pouring in your desired amount of sauce. Toss gently with a wooden spoon until pasta is evenly coated.
4. Top with any of the toppings above, or serve as is!