Oil Free Zucchini Bread
Sneaking veggies into baked goods is one of my fortes. Thus, it should come as no surprise that zucchini bread is an all time favorite of mine. This recipe is free from the big allergens (gluten, dairy, soy, even nuts if you leave out the walnut topping!) without sacrificing the delicious sweetness of the bread. Also, applesauce is the magical ingredient that makes this zucchini loaf so moist, despite being oil free! I hope you love this as much as I do. Happy baking!
• 1 ¾ cup gluten free flour mix
** I used ½ cup brown rice flour, ½ cup buckwheat flour, ¾ cup sorghum flour
• 1 ½ cup grated zucchini, squeezed dry with paper towel (v important!)
• ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1 tablespoon xanthan gum (note: you can omit if you don't have!)
• ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
• ½ cup coconut sugar
• 1 teaspoon coconut nectar (sub maple syrup or add a little more sugar if you don't have)
• 2 tablespoons flax meal
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
• ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
• 3 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1 pinch sea salt
• 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
• ¼ cup walnuts
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F. Spray/lightly coat a 8x8 pyrex baking dish or loaf pan with coconut oil (or parchment paper for 100% oil free option) and set aside.
2. Let's get the hard stuff done first. Grate zucchinis with a box grater, until you have 1 ½ cups. This was about 2 medium large zucchinis for me. Wrap grated zucchini in a paper towel, and press firmly, until excess liquid is drained. It's very important to make sure that the zucchini is pretty dry before putting it in the batter!
3. In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients (flour, spices, salt, sugar, powders, flax meal) and stir until evenly mixed. In a smaller bowl, add wet ingredients (apple sauce, lemon juice, vanilla extract, almond milk, and coconut nectar, if using). Pour wet ingredients into dry, add zucchini, and stir well. Batter will be ready when all ingredients are fully mixed - make sure there are no dry flour parts!
4. Pour zucchini batter into pyrex dish or loaf pan and bake in oven for 35-40 minutes. At the 35 minute mark, check to see if bread is ready by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the bread is ready! If it's a little bit sticky, continue baking for about 5 more minutes.
5. Take zucchini bread out of oven and let cool for 15 minutes. In the meantime, grind walnuts in a mortar and pestle, adding in coconut sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of bread, cut, and serve! <3