Date 'Caramel' Sauce
Caramel apples were one of my favvvooorite fall snacks growing up. Since being dairy-free, I haven't found a great caramel alternative...UNTIL NOW! This recipe was born from an evening of experimentation with my food processor, and I'm happy to say the result was absolutely delicious. Give it a try if you're looking for a healthier, vegan alternative to caramel.
• 8 medjool dates, soaked in boiling water for 20 mins then drained
• ½ cup almond milk + extra to thin
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
• pinch of sea salt
1. Add all ingredients to a high speed food processor (or blender like a Nutribullet) and pulse until a nice creamy consistency is reached. Add more almond milk to thin, if desired.
2. Enjoy at room temperature, chilled, or even heated. It's delicious when dipped in fresh apples, or heated and poured over ice cream!