Citrus Kale Salad
Kale salad can be DELICIOUS. There. I said it! This dish is sure to be a summer crowd-pleaser with ingredients like fresh citrus, avo, and extra virgin olive oil. Plus, all of these ingredients you can easily find at any grocery store. Makes 2-4 servings, depending on your appetite! To make a bigger salad, I'd double the kale + orange + olive oil. :)
• 1 large bunch of dino kale, stems removed and leaves roughly torn
• 1 orange, skin removed and sliced
• 1 clementine, peeled
• 1 ripe avocado, cubed
• ¼ cup pine nuts
• 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• juice of ½ lemon
• sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
• 1 -2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. Let's get the pine nuts done first. Although you can totally use raw pine nuts in this recipe, I personally like them a bit toasted. If you're like me, coat a non stick skillet with a little olive oil (a teaspoon or so), and heat on medium. Once the oil is heated, add ¼ cup pine nuts. Gently turn pine nuts on either side with a spatula, so that they brown slightly. After a couple minutes, turn off the stovetop and let the pine nuts cool.
2. Onto the kale! Make sure to wash the kale in water, gently patting dry, then transfer to a large mixing bowl. Let the massaging begin. Add 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in the mixing bowl, and rub into each piece of kale. If you are looking for a delish evoo brand, I have been loving this one and this one recently as dressings. Next add avocado, orange, and clementine.
3. Finally, season with lemon juice, sea salt, pepper, sesame seeds, and pine nuts. Toss briefly, then serve!