Wanna know a secret? Most of my favorite recipes come out of complete accidents. Take this dish for example- I had all the ingredients to test a vegan, gluten-free eggplant parmesan, except for the eggplant (d'oh)! So I looked in my fridge, saw a big beautiful cauliflower staring right back at me, and began experimenting. The result? This delectable plant-based dish that's both healthy, comforting, and perfect for these chilly evenings. As always, let me know what you think - and share your pics with me on Instagram if you try it! <3
• 1 large cauliflower (or 2 small), chopped into florets and thinly sliced
• 3 cups tomato/marinara sauce (try using a organic, sugar-free brand if possible!)
• 2 cups shredded vegan mozzarella (highly recommend Miyoko's mozzarella)
• ¼ cup nutritional yeast
• ¼ cup gluten-free flour (I used almond flour)
• ¼ cup veggie broth
• 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoons warm water)
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• ½ teaspoon dried basil
• ¼- ½ teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
• freshly ground black pepper
• fresh basil
• extra nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Add all breading ingredients to a large bowl, and stir to combine. If the mixture seems a bit thick, add a little more veggie broth. Add cauliflower in 2 batches, tossing each time. Make sure the floret slices are nicely coated before transferring each to the baking sheet.
3. Bake cauliflower for 20-25 minutes, then let cool for 10 minutes. Turn the oven down to 375 degrees F - but do not turn off!
4. Lightly oil/spray an 8x8 baking dish with avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil. Once the cauliflower has slightly cooled, add an even layer of florets to the bottom, then 1 ½ cups of tomato sauce, and a layer of shredded mozzarella. You can even sprinkle some more nutritional yeast and spices here if you feel so inclined! Repeat this process until no cauliflower/ingredients remain! If you like your meals on the cheesier side, add ½ cup more shredded mozzarella. ;)
5. Add baking dish back to oven, and bake for about 35-40 minutes, checking around the 30 minute mark. Cauliflower parmesan should be golden & bubbly! Let cool for 10-15 minutes, then top with fresh basil and/or nutritional yeast before serving.