I'm sure a lot of you have noticed the cauliflower rice craze by now. If you haven’t, let me tell ya: when blended, cauliflower can take on a similar consistency to rice. it can also absorb liquid like risotto/porridge/oatmeal. I know it sounds a bit wild, but I promise that cauliflower can be delicious (and nutritious) for brekkie. Also, veggie dishes don’t always have to be savory. As you can see, this ‘oatmeal’ is actually on the sweeter side! Recipe serves two.
• 2 ½ cups riced cauliflower (whole foods, costco, and tj's all sell pre-riced!)
• 2 cups nut milk (I use almond or cashew)
• 2 tablespoons flax meal
• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
• 1-2 teaspoons sweetener of choice (i like coconut nectar or maple syrup!)
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Fillers/toppings (optional, but suggested!):
• nuts/nut butters
• coconut flakes
• pumpkin seeds
• cacao nibs...etc!!
1. Add cauliflower and nut milk to a saucepan and heat on medium high, stirring occasionally for 5 or so minutes, until mixture begins to bubble.
2. Mix in flax meal, spices, sweetener, and protein powder if using. Stir well until combined.
3. Turn stovetop heat to low, and continue cooking. After about 7-10 minutes, most of the nut milk should be absorbed - meaning these cauli oats are ready to go!
4. Top with all the toppings your heart desires, and enjoy warm!