Cauliflower Fried Rice
Hi folks! I've got a few new recipes coming to the blog and this is one that I'm really excited to share. It's a great veggie-packed option for lunch/dinner and can be modified with a protein depending on your dietary preference (vegan/vegetarian/flexitarian...ya feeel). For those of you who haven't tried using cauliflower rice instead of regular rice, I recommend giving it a go! You'll be able to get a good serving of veggies in, and I personally feel less tired afterwards. This recipe makes about 3 servings, but more if you add extra protein!
• 5 cups riced cauliflower (fresh or thawed from frozen)
• 1 cup green peas, thawed from frozen
• 1 cup shredded carrot (about 2 medium)
• 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (i used a combination of shiitake and crimini)
• 1/4 cup cashews, roughly chopped
• 11/2 tablespoons tamari (or liquid aminos)
• 1/2 tablespoon ginger, minced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 3-4 tablespoons veggie broth
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
• 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds
• 1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
• 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional, but i like adding!)
• 1-2 teaspoons chili paste (love this one)
1. Heat a large non-stick pan on medium heat, then add 1/2 teaspoon oil (or 1 tablespoon veggie broth) and minced garlic, onion powder, ginger, and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Cook for a couple minutes, then add carrots, peas, mushrooms and cashews. Stir gently with a wooden spoon, and cover for 4-5 minutes.
2. Uncover and cook until veggies begin sticking to pan. Lower heat to medium low, and add 3-4 tablespoons vegetable broth, then cauliflower rice. Cook for about 5 more minutes, until desired consistency. Stir in tamari last, followed by garnishes of green onion, sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, and/or chili paste.
3. Serve warm, and enjoy! For a non-vegan option, you could even add a fried egg on top. I've made this for my non-vegan (but veggie loving) boyfriend, and he loved it :)