Ya'll know by now that I have a thing for veggie pancakes. My green goddess pancakes are my favorite (best comfort dinner IMO), but a close contender are these carrot cake ones. Best part about them? They can easily be modified for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This recipe serves one hungry individual OR two people, depending on how decadent you get with the toppings ;)
• ⅓ cup brown rice flour
• ⅓ cup oat flour (blend ⅓ cup gluten free rolled oats until flour)
• ½ cup freshly shredded carrot
• 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (i go for less, or take out entirely and add sweetener on top!)
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• ¼ ground nutmeg
• ⅛ ground cloves
• 1 flax egg
• ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened
• 1 tablespoon apple sauce, unsweetened
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• coconut butter
• crushed walnuts
• extra shredded carrot
• coconut flakes
• almond butter
• coconut nectar/maple syrup
(the combinations are endless!)
1. In a medium bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix. Once evenly distributed, stir in wet ingredients (almond milk, flax egg, apple sauce, and lemon juice).
2. Heat non-stick pan on medium heat and coat with coconut oil spray or 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil. Pour batter on pan in about ¼ cup portions. Let cook for a minute or so, then flip carefully with spatula. Pancakes should fluff up at this point! Cook on the other side for about the same time or shorter. You'll know a pancake is ready if you pat it down gently with the spatula and it doesn't ooze. Repeat until no batter remains!
3. Top with a variety of goodies (or none, if you dig plain pancakes...) and enjoy!