Breakfast in my apartment usually rotates between protein smoothies, oatmeal, and PANCAKES. Buckwheat is my favorite flour to make pancakes with because of its important minerals (magnesium i see you) and nutty flavor. Also, it's 100% gluten free in its natural form! However, lots of store bought mixes have regular flour and/or sugar included with buckwheat, so be careful when you buy. Anyways, these bebes are super healthy carbs and can be topped with sooo many yummy things. I don't add sugar to these pancakes, but instead top them with almond butter, coconut nectar, and/or FRUIT! This recipe is for a single person, but makes 3-4 large pancakes. Simply double the recipe if you are making pancakes for two. :)
• ½ cup gluten free buckwheat flour (I use this brand!)
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• ¼ cup almond milk, unsweetened (add a little more if batter seems too thick)
• 1 flax egg (or sub normal egg for non-vegan option)
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice (this mixes with almond milk to make a buttermilk consistency)
• 3 teaspoons coconut sugar (optional - i leave this out!)
• 1 tablespoon almond butter / peanut butter
• 3 teaspoons coconut nectar / maple syrup
• coconut flakes
• fresh berries/banana
• pinch of fresh cinnamon
1. In a medium bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix. Once evenly distributed, stir in wet ingredients (almond milk, egg, and lemon juice).
** To make these pancakes 'green goddess' style (my favorite), blend wet ingredients in a nutribullet with 2 large handfuls of baby spinach, then stir into dry ingredients and follow same directions!
2. Heat non-stick pan on medium heat and coat with coconut oil spray or 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil. Pour batter on pan in about ¼ cup portions. Let cook for 45 seconds to a minute, then flip carefully with spatula. Pancakes should fluff up at this point! Cook on the other side for about the same time or shorter. You'll know a pancake is ready if you pat it down gently with the spatula and it doesn't ooze. Repeat until no batter remains!
3. Top with a variety of goodies (or none, if you dig plain pancakes...) and enjoy!