Beet & Quinoa Salad
Looking for a colorful dish to bring to a summertime brunch or bbq? I got ya covered! This recipe is as tasty as it is pretty, and doesn't require much effort! I'm sure you'll be able to turn some quinoa nay-sayers into believers with this one! ;)
• 1 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
• 2 cups water
• 3 small-medium sized beets, scrubbed clean
• ⅓ cup Kite Hill dairy free cheese (or feta for non vegan option)
• ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
• ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes (or to taste)
• 3 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped (more/less to taste)
• 3 tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped (more/less to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap beets individually in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Cook in oven for 45-60 mins.
2. While the beets are roasting, cook quinoa! Add 1 cup dry quinoa and 2 cups water to a saucepan, bring to a rapid boil (I mean A LOTTA BUBBLES), and then reduce heat to low for approx. 15 minutes, leaving the saucepan partially covered by a lid. This method, without fail, has left me with fluffy delicious quinoa!
3. Once beets are fully cooked, take out of aluminum foil, peel off skin, and dice.
4. Add quinoa, beets, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and olive oil to a large bowl. Toss well, until quinoa takes on the vibrant color of the beets.
5. Last but not least, mix in the fresh herbs and Kite Hill cheese. Feta could possibly work as a non-vegan substitute, but don't take my word for it as I've been dairy-free for quite some time now!
6. Serve this dish warm or cold, and enjoy!