Beet Dyed Socca
It's no secret that I love pretty food, and this socca is no exception! To add a lil extra flavor and color, I roasted a beet, blended it with water, and added to the batter. I could seriously eat socca for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This combo in particular was soo incredibly delicious...almost made my heart skip a beet. Serves two.
• 1 cup chickpea flour
• 1 cup water
• 1 roasted beet, blended with ¼ cup water
• ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• 2 pinches sea salt
• 1 tablespoon avocado oil
• ¼ cup tahini
• ⅓ cup water
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon cumin
• sea salt to taste
• 2-3 cups chopped kale (curly or dino)
• ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
• 1 avocado, chopped or sliced
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• fresh cilantro to taste
• sea salt & black pepper to to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, and add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to a cast-iron skillet. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, add 1 cup chickpea flour and spices with 1 cup water and whisk until no flour clumps remain. Next, blend the roasted beet with ¼ cup water until liquid. Pour beet mixture into batter, whisk again and let sit for 15 mins - a few hours in the fridge to thicken.*
**To get the tie-dye effect, I swirled some extra beet mixture with a spatula.
3. Pour batter onto skillet, and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Take out of the oven to carefully flip, then put back in for another 5 minutes. Now, remove socca from oven and let cool while you make the dressing + topping!
4. For the tahini dressing, simply add tahini, water, lemon juice, and spices to a blender and blend until creamy.
5. In a medium mixing bowl, add ½ tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, sesame seeds, and chopped kale. Using your hands, massage the kale with oil until all leaves are coated. Create a circle of kale around the socca (like photo), or place in the middle. Add avocado. Finally, season with fresh cilantro, sea salt, extra sesame seeds, and black pepper.
6. Drizzle dressing, then...slice, serve, and enjoy!