Almond Butter & Berry Bread
If I could describe this loaf in one word, it would be DREAMY. Seriously, I'm v happy with this recipe and highly recommend trying it! It’s vegan and gluten free, and packed with three berries (strawb, rasp, blueberry) in every bite. Kinda like PB&J if ya ask me, but I used almond butter because it’s my favorite. If you're more of a peanut/cashew butter fan, I'm sure you could substitute those and it would turn out delicious too. This loaf has been on repeat in my kitchen for brekkie. Try dipping it in warm almond milk! :)
• 1 ¾ cup gluten free flour mix
** I used ¾ cup brown rice flour, ¾ cup sorghum flour, ¼ tapioca flour
• ⅓ cup coconut sugar (for a sweeter bread, I'd add a few tablespoons more)
• ⅓ cup strawberries, diced
• ⅓ cup raspberries, halved
• ½ cup blueberries
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
• ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
• ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoons warm water, whisked)
• 3 tablespoons creamy almond butter
• ¼ cup creamy almond butter
• extra berries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray/lightly coat a loaf pan or 8x8 pyrex baking dish with coconut oil (or parchment paper for 100% oil free option) and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients except berries (flour, spices, sugar, powders) and stir until evenly mixed. In a smaller bowl, add wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry, add berries, and stir well. Batter will be ready when all ingredients are fully mixed - make sure there are no dry flour parts!
3. Pour bread batter into loaf pan and bake in oven for 45-50 minutes. For gluten-free breads, I recommend baking in the middle or bottom racks so the top doesn't burn! At the 40 minute mark, check to see if bread is ready by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the bread is ready! If it's a little bit sticky, continue baking for about 5 more minutes.
4. Take berry bread out of oven and let cool for *at least* 15 minutes. Drizzle extra almond butter and berries on top, and serve.