Caramelized Pear Oatmeal with Honey & Thyme
This is a wonderful breakfast made with Purely Elizabeth’s original ancient grain oatmeal. Although this recipe may take a little longer than traditional oatmeal prep, it's definitely worth it! This serves about 2-4 people, depending on hunger levels! :)
* For a vegan option, I would try substituting maple syrup.
• 1 cup purely elizabeth’s original ancient grain oatmeal
• 2 bosc pears
• 2 ½ tablespoons raw honey (sub maple syrup for vegan option)
• ⅓ cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
• 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
• ½ cup almond milk
• 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Cut bosc pears in half and scoop out cores.
2. In a medium/large non-stick skillet, turn heat on medium high and add 2 tablespoons honey. make sure that the honey coats the skillet. wait 5-10 minutes, until honey begins to bubble.
3. Add 4 sprigs worth of fresh thyme leaves to the skillet, making sure to discard the woody stems.
4. Add bosc pears face down and sprinkle walnuts around the skillet.
5. Turn heat to medium, and wait 15-20 minutes, until honey turns thick, sticky, and begins to brown.
6. With a spatula, remove pears and walnuts from skillet and place on small plate or tray to cool. choose 2 of the 4 pear halves, and roughly chop.
7. Meanwhile, in a medium/small saucepan, turn heat onto medium high and add 2 cups unsweetened almond milk.
8. Wait until almond milk begins to bubble, then add 1 cup oatmeal.
9. Once oatmeal begins to thicken, mix in roughly chopped pears.
10. After 10 or so minutes, or until oatmeal is at desired thickness, take saucepan off stovetop and transfer to a larger bowl. top with other pear halves, walnuts, cinnamon, and ½ tablespoon honey. optional: transfer to oven-safe container and bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
11. Serve & enjoy!