Strawberry-Banana Quinoa & Oat Breakfast Cups
Be warned. These quinoa & oat cups are highly addictive goodies - I may be known to have eaten 5 of them in one sitting! Also, they’re really good after being refrigerated for a bit as well! For those with a sweet tooth, I suggest adding a bit of coconut sugar or honey on top when they're fresh or reheated.
• 2 medium bananas, mashed (using overripe ones are the best!)
• 2 cups chopped strawberries
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• 2 cups old-fashioned oats (i use bob's gluten-free oats)
• ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
• ½ cup almond milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg
• ¼ cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
• 2 strawberries, sliced for garnish (optional)
• ½ banana, sliced for garnish (optional)
1. Cook quinoa. I cook quinoa in large batches and save the rest for other recipes. Usually I put 1 cup dry quinoa and 2 cups water together in a saucepan, bring to a rapid boil, and then reduce heat to low for 15 minutes, leaving the saucepan partially covered.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, mix mashed bananas, chopped strawberries, almond milk, sugar, vanilla, and applesauce in a smaller bowl.
3. Once quinoa is cooked and ready, mix the dry ingredients (oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cooked 5. quinoa) together in a separate medium bowl.
4. Mix wet ingredients into dry, stir well.
5. Fill each cup of the muffin tin to the brim (i have a 6-cup muffin tin but this recipe works for larger tins too- the quinoa cups may just be a bit smaller).
6. Add a banana or strawberry slice on top of each cup (optional).
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until quinoa cups are golden/light brown.
8. Let cool for 10-15 minutes, and munch away!